Our favourite backyard needs protecting
Volunteering is a rewarding way to give back to the community and coast, and environmental volunteering is the perfect way to help protect our favourite outdoor backyard – the Surf Coast.
It’s the backbone of the Great Ocean Road Coast Committee’s ongoing conservation work and with more than a dozen active volunteer groups on the coast, there’s sure to be one near you.
Each group focuses on a specific coastal area and work closely with land managers to ensure the preservation of the natural environment.
Environmental volunteering is:
- Good for your health and fitness
- A great way to meet like-minded people
- Provides a social atmosphere
- An opportunity to develop and build knowledge and skills
- A hands-on way to make a real difference on our precious coastline
- Excellent networking opportunity
- Looks great on your resume!
Anyone with a love of the outdoors and a passion for the environment can take part and start making a difference. You don’t have to be experienced or an expert, there’s plenty of opportunities for new members to grow and learn.
The volunteer groups are friendly, welcoming and cater for everyone regardless of age or ability.
Volunteering is the perfect way to enjoy the outdoors, make friends and contacts and give back to the wonderful environment where you live.
It’s not all about weeding! Volunteer groups along our coast carry out a variety of roles in many different areas. Activities may include:
- Developing facilities such as walking tracks
- Preventing erosion
- Participating in informative walks
- Monitoring native birds and animals
- Attending meetings and social events.
- And much more!
The best part about volunteering is that even if you only have one day or a weekend to spare, volunteer groups would love to hear from you!
You can become a regular participant, or help out when and where you can, it’s up to you.