Apply for a coastal event or activity

Licenses, leases and permits

The Great Ocean Road Coast Committee issues a number of permits and licenses each year to ensure everyone is able to enjoy the wonderful coastline and encourage users to be mindful of other visitor’s enjoyment of the coast, particularly with large groups.

Permits are required for foreshore activities, including beach weddings, filming/photography, yoga and personal training sessions, surfing competitions and many other similar activities where use of Crown land coastal reserves is required.

Surf schools, mobile food vendors and many other types of ongoing commercial activities taking place along the coast require a licence.

We also issue and manage leases for a range of coastal-dependent businesses, including the caravan park at Cumberland River – which is currently leased to private operators – and manage the lease relating to Lorne’s Mantra Erskine House resort.

The Great Ocean Road Coast Committee, in partnership with Surf Coast Shire, adheres to a Plastic Wise Policy for all events held on Great Ocean Road Coast-managed land. Introduced in 2016, the policy requires event and market organisers to reduce or eliminate single-use plastics and encourage the use of reusable alternatives. Single use plastic items including bags, packaging, bottled water, straws, cutlery and balloons are commonly found as litter. Help us keep the coast beautiful by making your next event Plastic Wise.

The Great Ocean Road Coast Committee reinvests all funds raised through commercial operations back into the coastal reserves, infrastructure, caravan parks and the community.

Licences and permits

All coastal events undertaken on Great Ocean Road Coast Committee managed coastline require prior approval. This is to ensure as land managers we are able to accommodate rubbish bin and amenity needs and manage events along each section of the coast to avoid clashes.

Each year a range of groups and organisations conduct a number of small to large-scale community and commercial events along the coast between Torquay and Lorne. These events include:

  • arts performances
  • beach volleyball
  • community festivals
  • community sporting events
  • cycling and on-road events
  • fun runs
  • life-saving events
  • marathons
  • outdoor concerts
  • product promotions and launches
  • sailing events
  • surfing contests, and
  • triathlons
  • social gatherings of more than 50 people.

Please fill out and submit an Event Application Form.

Arranging a wedding or private function on the foreshore?

Each year, the Great Ocean Road Coast Committee receives numerous requests for weddings and other celebrations to take place on the foreshore reserve.

The Great Ocean Road Coast Committee has a responsibility to manage the foreshore in ways that are ecologically sustainable, thereby ensuring the preservation of our coastal and marine environments for current and future use. This includes monitoring activities, such as weddings, on the land we manage to ensure there are no clashes with other events on the day.

If you would like to hold a wedding or private function on coastal reserves under our management, please fill out and submit an application form.

Want to use the coast for film or photography purposes?

Tourism is a major economic contributor to the area, and Great Ocean Road Coast recognises the important role that positive promotion through advertising, film and television can play in supporting this vital industry.

Accordingly, the committee welcomes and supports those wishing to film in the area. Fees are set at a minimum to encourage active promotion of the area through these mediums and conditions apply.

Please fill out and submit a filming and photography permit application.

Currently there are two approved sites available for the operation of mobile, commercial vendors (i.e. food and coffee vans) on the Great Ocean Road Coast managed land.

  • Cosy Corner
  • Torquay Play Park

A licence is required to operate from the above locations and all other locations under Great Ocean Road Coast management are not suitable for mobile commercial operators.

Every three years’ licences are reviewed and a tender process is undertaken which is advertised on this website and in local newspapers.

Current licences will expire in Easter 2019. Applications for new licenses will be conducted in May 2019.

All commercial activities conducted on the land managed by the Great Ocean Road Coast requires a license to operate. The Great Ocean Road provides the perfect location for businesses ranging from mountain bike riding tours, wind surfing lessons, learn to surf groups and more.

Surf school licenses are awarded every five years through a competitive Expressions of Interest process. Current surf school licenses will expire June 30 2022 with Expressions of Interest for the 2022-2027 licences advertised one year before the expiration.

All available licences and leases will be advertised directly on our website and in the local papers.

We also issue permits for commercial uses of the coast and any activity that may disturb public enjoyment of the Great Ocean Road coastal reserves.

These include, but are not limited to:

  • Horse riding permits
  • Helicopter landing and parking

What we do